I have fond memories of spending the weekends with my grandmother and all the fun things we would do together. This is her apple pie recipe, old- fashioned apple pie with homemade vanilla maple whipped cream. Nothing beats fresh, warm apple pie with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. I can remember the smell of the apple pie baking in the oven and being excited and asking my grandmother every two minutes when it would be done.
My grandmother taught me how to bake and I will forever appreciate her for those wonderful memories. My grandmother passed away years ago but I will always cherish the times we spent together in the kitchen. I will continue to carry on this tradition with my daughter. This apple pie recipe has won me a 1st place ribbon and I know you will love it too.
Grandmas never run out of hugs or cookies (or in my case apple pie).
- Author Unknown
Grandma's Award Winning Apple Pie with Vanilla Maple Whipped Cream
2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 tablespoons regular sugar
1 cups cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup ice cold water
1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Add diced butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add in water. Form two balls and wrap each ball in plastic and put in refrigerator for 4 hours or leave overnight.
2. Roll dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate.
* If your pressed for time you can also buy a ready made crust from the store.
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup regular sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch of salt
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (6 medium)
2 (9 inch) pie crusts (homemade or store bought if your pressed for time)
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon regular sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
3. Add apples to sugar mixture; stir until coated. Spoon into pie crust and dot with butter.
4. Place piecrust on top of filling. Trim edges, pressing against edge of pan. Using a sharp knife, cut steam vents in piecrust. To glaze, lightly brush piecrust with beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar and add aluminum foil to edges of pie only to prevent them from burning before the rest of the pie is done.
5. Bake until piecrust is golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove aluminum foil halfway though baking.
6. Place on wire rack and cool for 30 minutes.
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1.5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped Cream Directions:
1. Place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Place the sugar into the mixing bowl and add the whipping cream
3. Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
Serve apple pie warm topped with as much whipped cream as your heart desires and ENJOY!
New blog posts every week so be sure to check it out!
Want to be featured on the blog, click here to submit your articles, recipes, reviews, photos and more for a chance to be featured.
Leave a comment below and let me know what you think!